How to use the Amsler Grid Correctly
HI,

I'm a 44 year old male, Myopic ( -7.00 , - 5.50 ) with some degree of astigmatism. Recently I'm also developing presbyopia.

I've started using the Amsler Grid to check my center and peripheral vision.
When I test my eyes ( one at a time ) with my eyeglasses on everything on the grid looks fine.
But, when I look into the grid closely ( about 5 inches away from my eyes )without my eyeglasses on, I can see a liitle bit of distortion on the edge of the grid towards each of my temple. When I look with my left eye, the distortion is in the left middle portion of the grid, towards my temple. Same happens with my right eye. I'm just doing this because the grid looks clearer up close since I'm myopic with some presbyopia.

My question is could this distortions be a sign of a serious condition or am I seeing them because I'm not doing the test the right way. Could it be also due to my natural blind spot as the distortions start to appear close to my blind spots.

I had my latest eye check up last June 2010 and everything was okey with my Macula, retina and Optic nerves.

I would really appreciate any comments on my concerns.

Thanks in advance

Victor

HI Dr. Hagan,

I'm re-sending my question to you as my origianl post went into the Ear, Nose and Throat Community.

Thanks in advance

Victor