Ear, Nose & Throat Community
I can't stop coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I can't stop coughing

I've been coughing for about a week now, and it just won't go away. It keeps getting worst. It feels like there's something in my throat tickeling / scratching it. When oxygen goes through my throat it feels tickelish again and I feel like the air can't go thru when I breath thru my mouth. I am not sick and I wasn't sick. I just cough up mucus every once in a while. I've hardly been getting sleep because of this and I want to know what's wrong :(
Do you suffer from asthma or allergies?  When you cough up the mucus, what color is it?  do you have any shortness of breath?

I have both allergies and asthma and the cough you're describing sounds a good bit like the cough I get with my allergies and sometimes the asthma.  It's very annoying, for sure!  Of course, I have medication to treat me allergy and asthma symptoms and that does help, but I also have found that if I make sure that I keep my mouth and throat moist, it helps also - I tend to cough a lot more when I haven't had anything to drink for a while.

Cough can also come from post nasal drip, whether or not you feel like you're having nasal problems.

You could check with your local pharmacist (or your doctor) and ask their advice on some over the counter cough medications and possibly a decongestant to see if it helps.

If things don't get better or seem to be getting worse, I would suggest seeing your doctor and seeing what they think it might be and possibly even requesting a referral to an ear, nose and throat doctor or an allergist.

Best of luck and please keep us informed as to how you're doing.

Oh, and try sleeping with an extra pillow at night to see if it helps at all.
You'd best go to a doctor or maybe even someone whom experiences it or has experienced it in the past. I would probably go and first learn about allergy and asthma in Minneapolis. NM if I were you.