Ear, Nose & Throat Community
I can't take a full breath without coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

when I take deep  or even  a full breath I cough really badly. but it doesn't happen when I take slow small breaths, I seem exhausted and I end up sleeping for short periods of time but it feels like hours. There is also this horrible taste in my mouth. Much like morning breath but magnified. The taste goes away when I brush but comes back when I cough some sort of mucus seems to come up when I cough.

what can I do to make this go away it has been going on for nearly a week now only in steps until today, I feel better than I did when I first got the coughs and better than I did early yesterday.

any help would be welcomed

What other symptoms do you have? Is your chest sore? Any time you hae a problem breathing you really need to see a doctor.

Melissa

no my chest isn't sore but lower back and neck..and it's not so much trouble breathing, it's just that when I take a deep breath or a regular full breath I begin to cough and it seems to put pressure on temples. I suppose the other symptom would be this feeling of exhaustion...it also feels like there is a slight itch down in my thought and when I move around a lot my stomach gruels like as if i where hungry but I feel full.  

thanks Melissa for anything else you can suggest. I have to work today I don't have anymore sick or personal time left and because I've gone home early and called in yesterday I don't have much choice I plan on visiting a doctor tomorrow it's my day off I just though I could get an idea here before I go
I would be careful as it cold be a lung or chest infection. You don't want it to get too bad. Drink a lot of liquids and rest until you can get to the doctor.

Keep me posted okay?

Melissa
I've gone to my pharmacist at my work and I told her my symptoms and she gave me this Mucus Relief DM stuff she said what I had told her is something that is going around at the moment so right now I am eating some Chicken Noodle soup and then I am going to take the meds that she gave me and hopefully it will all work out.

now all I have to do is get over my pill phobia..hehehe
That's good, that should help. Drinking a lot of water will help too. take care of yourself!

Melissa
well it looks like those pills had a reverse effect..instead of suppressing my coughs it only called them on and all night I was coughing up a storm...the pharmacist thinks it could be the flu...but I am only familiar with the type where you get physically sick...oh well tomorrow is another day I suppose
If ou get anything over th e counter and you want to stop the cough get an antitussive, If you want to bring it up, get an expectorant.
So Melissa I bit the apple and I went to the hospital the doctor listened to my deep breaths checked my ears and throat and felt under neath my jaw and some other place behind my jaw just under my ears took a step back and said "Sir, you've got bronchitis"  and prescribed me: Hycodin, Zithromax this is my first time taking anything behind the counter so to speak and when I looked at the labels they read azithromycin and hydrocodone ....this makes me nervous I am sure that those must be the scientific names for the drugs he said to take but even so.

well, I feel better to finally have a name for what it is that I have
My daughter has the same problem but she also has a fever. She's 12 years old and we were on a trip to Washington DC with her grade. The first 2 days she was perfectly fine but when she woke up on the third day she said she had a sore throat and that she was very tired. She threw up on the second day but she said that her stomach felt fine and that her throat was so dry that she threw up. When I checked her forehead she had a fever that felt high but the doctor that came didn't have a thermometer. He was very unhelpful to be honest.. Currently we are on the way back home and she can not breathe deeply without needing to cough. Her voice is very hoarse and her throat is still very sore. She also feels very tired all the time. It has been almost 3 days since this started. Any help is welcome :)