Ear, Nose & Throat Community
I smell exhaust fumes just about all the time!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's driving me nuts! I don't smell exhaust fumes all day long but I do smell it off and on during the day everyday. Will my doctor think I'm loosing it if I call to tell him about this strange problem or is this some sort of warning sign for another problem? Thanks for any help!
Tags: smells, smell
There are several posts on 'Phantom smells.' The question is do you smell these smells where there actually could be exhaust fumes present?
If not, It would be considered a phantom smell.
Phantom smells can be caused by a sinus infection. There are plenty of posts started by people who have these phantom smells.
There are several causes for them. I'd suggest bring this up with an ENT.

:)
Good luck.
I have the same problem. I think it may be connected to the heat coming on. I smelled it at work, at home and at my daughter's dance studio. It's making me sick to my stomach and giving me a headach, but no one else seems to notice.
I had this issue for months too.  I could not figure out what was causing it.  To make a long story short, it was my new memory foam mattress topper and pillow.  Super comfortable...but treated with petroleum products and chemicals that caused me to smell exhaust/gas fumes all the time.  Apparently, the chemicals I was breathing every night, built up in my system until this happened.  Took these items out of my home, and within a week, the fumes were gone and my sense of smell is back to normal.
Please do your own research about this, there is a lot of it online.  
I smell exhaust fumes most of the time, I work in a restaurant and most of the time I cant even smell the food over these "phantom fumes". Its been going on for at least 6 months. It gets so bad I choke. Nothing I do different has helped. Its become very worrisome. HELP???