I start to choke shortly after falling asleep.
Here is the situation.  40 year old female/bulemic since age 17.  Acid reflux and on Prilosec (maximum amount) per day for many years.  Upon falling asleep, I can feel something loosening in the back of my throat.  I wake up choking.  It is so weird, my legs are actually "running" as I wake up laying in bed.  I hate this choking feeling.  I even bought an adjustable bed figuring it would help solve the problem but I still choke.  I am becoming afraid to fall asleep.  What should I do?
I don't know about the choking, I would definitely see a doctor. Maybe you need a different medication for the acid reflux. As for the legs "running" that can be a side effect of the Prilosec. It sounds like restless leg syndrome.
Hi;

Meanwhile, I hope you are sleeping on your side? Sounds like you are aspirating saliva or have an allergy if the "loosening" sensation is not acid reflux.
   While waiting for the Dr's appt, you could try Prevacid OTC in lieu of the Prilosec.
   Wanting to take off and can't hold the legs still, I agree, RLS.
Ok, I have experienced something similar to this.  I have attributed it to sinus draining really fast.  I relate it to drowning, I think it runs so fast it is like having water rushing into your mouth and covering your throat so you can't breath.  I've never gone to the doctor because I couldn't figure out how to tell them what was happening.

As for your acid reflux, have you tried Bromelain?  I cannot take any of the acid reducers because they make me sick so I had to find something natural.  Bromelain was the ticket.  It works great.  Just a thought...
I have the same problem.  Mostly when I'm going through mild to moderate stressful times.  I fall asleep and 20 minutes or so later, I have either a nightmare that I'm choking or wake up thinking something is stuck in my throat.  I start to panic only because I'm half asleep.  80-90% of the time I realize that if a big belch can come up I'm relieved but often it won't and often I get diarreha.  I can feel the gas going clear from my intestines all the way up to the esophogus and if I can relieve it by diarreha I can feel it throughout.  I also have been on prilosec on an off for two years, but this choking thing started in the very begining before I ever started prilosec.  I think my body starts to relax and this is what happens.  I do plan to go to see the doctor to make sure my esophagus is okay and that I don't have a hernia or anything more serious.  I too get nervous to sleep sometimes. I pray, lay in a more upright position and sleep on my side rather than back or stomach.. This causes my hips to hurt, but it is better than choking...