Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Infected Hair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Infected Hair

My wife has recurring "infected hairs" in the tip of her nose. She has to literally push the tip of her nose up to see one when it arrives. She does trim her nasal hairs but says normally just the ones on the sides. This latest one has become very sensitive and we are growing concerned that this is not normal. Are these infected hairs and if so what is the treatment if any?  Or, is it something else?  Thank you.
Many people carry the staphylococcus aureus bacteria in their nose, throats and on their skin. I'm guessing that if your wife is pulling these nasal hairs out, it's possible the bacteria is entering the open follicle causing pus to form. Tell her the next time she does this to apply an antiseptic cream to the area she has de-haired, that should keep the follicles from becoming infected. I wouldn't be without Savlon antiseptic cream ever!