Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Infection after exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Infection after exercise

As a member of the Air Force we are required to perform an annual fitness test. Consisting of push-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run. EVERY year (past 4 years) I've gotten a horrible cold right after the run.  First internet research suggested taking a probiotic would help. FAIL. But then (internet search) I found that I may have non-allergic rhinitis. So I started taking Claritin every morning and it seemed to help. Took my PT test on Wednesday and here I am feeling like crap. Runny nose, sinus congestion, sinus pressure, sore/raw throat, coughing, sneezing.  Each time I went to the Dr he Rx'd me the Z-Pack and within a couple days I was better.  I really don't want to go through life eating Claritin everyday and Z-packs every year.  Please tell me there is a solution or at least what path I should persue to find answers.  I started doing CrossFit 2-3 times per week to help prepare for the test and have no trouble doing the workouts, which typically range from 7-15 minutes, and have no symptoms after. The workouts usually include outdoor running but not to the extend of 1.5 miles.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Allergic reactions are usually due to triggering reactions. If you are taking the annual fitness test at a different place, your symptoms could be due to environmental triggers. Environmental triggers are difficult to avoid, but being aware can help you take adequate precautions. To get to the bottom of this problem consult an allergy specialist, he can help to identify the allergens. You can then avoid them, take antihistamines, preventive steroid sprays or immunotherapy if possible.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.