Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Infection that won't go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Infection that won't go away

I became sick traveling to the Caribbean over a month ago, starting with a sore throat, progressing to a sinus infection, then to a middle ear infection in both ears with extreme pain and hearing loss from the fluid build-up, and all the while experiencing bad headaches, facial numbness or extreme sensitivity, coupled with toothaches and jaw pain -- mostly on the left side of my head and neck, which is where the problems always began. Two rounds of antibiotics, pain meds, ear drops, and lots of liquids/vitamins/other OTC remedies helped for a while, but strange symptoms persisted, like stinging pain on the left side of my face and head. And now most recently the left side of my throat has become painfully sore again, and I'm worried I'm getting sick all over again. Doctor did a strep test, which came back negative, and just told me to come back in a week for antibiotics if it doesn't go away. Is this the same infection or is my immunity just weak? I've never been this sick for this long and never had such strange pains in my head (I'm a 30-yr-old female with no other medical problems).