Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Inner Ear, or Depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Inner Ear, or Depression?

Back in july of 2011 is when i frist started to feel dizzy on and off.  Even went to the doctors to have my BP checked/changed.  Dizziness would still come and go, and has been getting worse.  Two weeks ago, it was like a truck hit me!  
Severe Dizziness Could hardly walk/can't drive
Loud ringing in ears
Pressure in my ears
Hard time concentrating/focusing
Fluttering sound in my ears

I have been too 2 hospitals, and 4 doctors now.  And ALL of them cant seem to tell me what is going on, but ALL of them just want to give me a drug.  Changed my BP mds again, Valium, Steriods.  Today I saw a Neurologist, he told me that he did not find anything wrong with me, and says that it is Depression?  He wants me to start taking Zoloft.  Am I depressed, YES!  I have not been able to work/drive/get out of bed for TWO weeks now!  Everyone seems to be just giving me the run around.  Please tell me what you might think this could be, I think that Depresson is not what it is, when I look up Depression I dont see my symptoms.  
Forgot to add that I have scene a ENT doctor, and he did some testing in my ears.  There is NO pressure he said, also wants me to get a VNG test done.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Dizziness can be very annoying. And it can consequently lead to depression.

Dizziness can have different sensations. If your dizziness feels like you are spinning or the room is spinning (and especially if associated with nausea or vomiting), this might be due to an inner ear problem. And inner ear causes could be many.

It could be due to Meniere’s disease, which  is a condition in which there is an excess of fluid in the inner ear. The excess fluid disturbs the ear’s balance and hearing mechanisms and causes tinnitus, dizziness and deafness. It could be Labyrinthitis, which is a viral infection. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), is another entity in which with movement of the head the person is likely to get dizziness.

And as you are on hypertensives, this can cause postural hypotension and dizziness.

So, a work up is focused on detecting the cause and therapy for the same. And also it takes some time for the medications to start working well and for the condition to settle down.

I suggest you continue with your medications. Other measures which help are elevating the head end of the bed, drinking plenty of fluids, avoiding sudden movements of the head and taking precautions with driving during an attack. And I would strongly caution you not to drive or operate heavy machinery while dizzy as you might injure yourself or others. Take Care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.