Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Intermittent Sore Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Intermittent Sore Throat

I've had a sore throat off and on (mostly on) for about 3 weeks now. I went to the doctor last Friday and was prescribed Biaxin 500mg twice per day. I've been doing this for 5 days now and there's been no improvement. The pain seems to move around my throat and neck area but its always intense. Yesterday it was below the larynx and today it`s mostly below my ear on the left side. Last Saturday was the last day that I had little or no pain. I've noticed, for about 4 to 5 months now that when I lay in a certain position(s), I get a gurgling sound when I breathe. I had a sore throat about 9 years ago that lasted for 3 months. I went to an ENT and his scope showed my throat was clear. I could hardly believe it after the discomfort I had endured and for so long. Sure enough though it did clear up. I didn't have the gurgling sound then though. This is causing me added worry. Is this probably something that will clear up like the last time? I was a pack a day smoker for 35 years and in the last 5 years I've cut down to less than a pack a week. The last week or so I've not smoked at all. If I get through this scare unscathed I will quit for good. Any one have any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Recurrent sore throat could be due to post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It's unlikely to be due to cancer. So, don't worry, but when in doubt best to have it checked.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could most probably be tonsillitis and a throat infection. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Taking the antibiotic for the required amount of days may help to clear the infection. Steam inhalations and salt water gargles can help. Take (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the response. I have had a swab for strep throat and it was negative. I've also been through an Rx of Biaxin 500mg b.i.d. and its had no effect. I had a tonsillectomy when I was just a child. Today the pain is directly below the larynx. I have an appointment with the ear/nose/throat doctor but not until April. Is this symptomatic of the fact that he feels there's little to worry about? I don't need to worry that I have a case of throat cancer and it will have progressed to further affect my prognosis, do I?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hello, I was wondering how it all went with you?

Hope it was good news