Ear, Nose & Throat Community
It won't go away!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

It won't go away!

I'm going to try to explain this without getting too graphic..

For almost five months I've had CONSTANT scabbing on both sides of my septum that spread the length of my nasal cavity. I tend to get nosebleeds quite frequently and thought it was just nosebleed scabs at first, as it was only on my left side at first (I sleep on my right side). I wasn't really concerned until I was blowing my nose one day and (sorry in advance!) I just felt this awful ripping sensation in my left nostril.  I kinda leaned my head forward and took a glance 'up there' and I could see what just looked to be like a booger stuck on a hair or such. Much to my surprise, however, once I got hold of the so called booger, about an inch to an inch and a half's length of scab came out and my nose just started bleeding so badly.
Within a month it had spread to the other side and now it's literally an every day battle when I wake up because I either have to pick them out and deal with the nosebleed or leave them and be unable to breathe.
The outside of nose has become very sore, lately - almost a burning sensation inside my nostrils when I touch the outside.
I've tried saline irrigation, nasal spray, lotion, creams, even chapstick! I'm becoming desperate because this pain is absolutely awful.
Any final suggestion before I just request that they amputate? Lol. Sorry. I felt the need for comic relief... but seriously, I need help here!
Have you tried using a vaporizer or a humidifier at night while sleeping?

How much saline are you using to irrigate your nose?  

How often are you using the saline spray?  

Have you used an antibiotic ointments in your nose, i.e. Neosporin?

I would avoid the nasal sprays as they can dry your nasal passages even more.  

I hope you are not a smoker or live with a smoker.  

No, I don't have one. I've used one in the past, but it never really did anything for my nose. In fact my nose would start running while I slept and it would just make the end of it chapped.

I haven't done a nasal irrigation since a bad allergy attack this past fall.

I don't. I'm not sure if it's from the post-nasal drip or what, but even just one spray in each nostril (which never does the trick, anyway) is enough to make my stomach upset.

After posting this today, I browsed through some of the forums. One suggested I put a little A&D Ointment on it. I happened to have some from previous tattoos (I have to use it over Aquaderm, as it doesn't contain lanolin) so I put some in there. Gross process, and it only resulted in my nose being slimy and scabby now, as opposed to dry and scabby.

Sad to admit, I am a smoker, but I have been for quite a few years; this has only been going on for about six months.
I understand you have been a smoker for a few years, but in my opinion, your nasal passages have been taking a "beating" so to speak from the smoking for a while and now you are presenting with problems related to the smoking.  I would be finding a way to at least reduce the amount you are smoking; ideally quit and consult an ENT Specialist for a thorough assessment.

All the best.