Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Jaw Pain & Ear Fullness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Jaw Pain & Ear Fullness

My  upper jaw  on the right size of my head hurts all the time when I open my mouth to eat or chew gum ....a tooth on the bottom which would be my eye tooth I believe and one just above on the upper jaw ....feels very sensitive always....my right ear feels like I'm under water most of the time ...I take ibprophen for the pain and it does not even work ! what could this be ?
hey, i have no idea but my tooth is the same, even when air touches it, it hurts and feels horriable i hope someone hellps you more than i did lol
I've been diagnosed with tmj-the jaw swells causing major pain throughout the head.  You need to get a MRI of jaw to rule out TMJ (temporal mandibular joint).  I have the same symptoms.  The doctor ordered Valium for the evening before bed, and Naproxen, which is an inflammatory prescription.  
100% tmj symtoms (symptoms), I have this it took the doctors years to discover mine, look this up im sure you will be suprised how much your symptoms are simular x x

Good Luck
What meds are you taking?  Did you have an  MRI of TMJ - how was your d iagnosed?  The bizzarre thing is that the MRI showed nothing.
im taking amtriptyline 20mg at night to prevent me from clenching me teeth together! I feel like a new person , I even lost my job through feeling so ill all the time and taking sick days!  I did not have aMRI they dioagnosed on consultation and pysical exam.
Shel
A neurologist ordered this script for me apx 1 yr ago - he claimed I had migraines/tension headaches.  The entire time it was my jaw - possible dislocation.  Awaiting appt with doctor for re evaluation.  My case seems more severe.  
Yes I thought my ent specialist was talking rubbish, But I took the med anyway, This medication can take 4-6 weeks to reach its maximum benefit, I felt relief after 5 days. I think if you had a disclocated jaw your dentist would have seen this on the x-ray .

The headaches that I used to get were very severe and symtoms (symptoms) were very simular as tension headaches. I do understand how you feel x x I was vey ill for a long time!
I had pain for two years and did a lot of research on my symptoms without a lot of success.   It all started with a clogged ear and sore jaw joint on the same side.  Over time the symptoms grew to having swollen lymph nodes and tight neck, vertigo and difficulty swallowing.  I saw two doctors, my dentist, an ENT and had an MRI done.   Nobody could figure anything out.  Then I was referred to a Physical Therapist for Jaw problems a TMJ specialist.  I told her my symptoms and she diagnosed that the small disc in my jaw joint was displaces and it took her all of about three minutes to manipulate it back into place, my ear crackled open immediately, music and people sounded clear again, all other pain and swelling subsided in a coupled days. Then I spent 6 weeks, 5 more appointments learning exercises for rebuilding the face and jaw muscles and realigning my jaw movement and bite.  My smile was strait again and the jaw clicking subsided.  Two years of chronic pain, all those sleepless nights, anxiety, Advils. Now all in the past!  A Physical therapist specializing in TMJ is a must on the list of people to seek for answers.
I have TMJ from a hit in to side my face.  Severe pain and headaches, and couldn't eat or sleep for pain. First  I experience vertigo, as long as I looked straight ahead without turning my head I wouldn't get dizzy, My primary doctor prescribe a pill for vertigo that help .I can't remember the name of the pills because it been 5 years ago. Meanwhile TMJ cause me so many problems it would be like writing a book. I still have attacked periodically, with severe pain in my jaw. My dentist who specializes in TMJ prescribe  patch to place side of my jaw where the pain is. Oh, man it really do work.  the patch is called Flector patch (diclofenac epolamine topical patch). after applying this patch I was able to eat and sleep.. Change patch once every 12 hours. These patch are very expensive but it worth it. Believe  or not the vertigo has subsided and the headaches. But keep a patch with me at all time for just in case. So, far, I haven't had severe pain since i started wearing the patch.  periodically  I had mild pain and I place small pieces on area where it hurting. Have  your Doctor to write you a prescription may be one patch and try it.      
       Good luck!

.