Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Jaw Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Jaw Pain

I've been having this pain for a few days now, and I can't figure out what it is exactly. I can't go to the doctor/dentist just yet because my parents are still out of town.
Anyway, the pain I'm experiencing is located inside the right side of my mouth below my ear. Everytime I bite or add just a little bit of pressure it really hurts. I could feel my right jaw swelling inside, but i can open my mouth wide or turn my neck without it hurting. It really only hurts when I bite down or add pressure to it.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I tend to crack the lower back part of my ears, probably around the jaw area. I cracked both sides while I was trying to sleep, so I was already lying in bed. Could that have anything to do with the pain?
When I chew or eat food, it kind of actually lessens the pain, I guess it exercises it or something. It's when I don't eat or chew for 20 mins that I feel intense pain when I bite down.
I feel like I have TMJ but I'm not so sure.

I can't go to the dentist or doctor alone without my parents, so if anyone could please help me figure out what it is, or what to do to lessen the pain, I'd be really grateuful!

-Dee
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Considering your symptoms of point tenderness and pain inside the mouth, your symptoms could be due to temporomandibular (TMJ) joint arthritis. This is the jaw joint and inflammation of this joint can cause pain on opening the mouth and tenderness on palpating behind the ear. As you have had a recent throat infection, it could also be a lymph node enlargement. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.