Ear, Nose & Throat Community
LPR, Ears, Eustchian Tubes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

LPR, Ears, Eustchian Tubes

Hi:

I have been reading posts on here since October 07 so I am new and decided to tell my story of LPR.  It all started in September 07, I got a really bad sinus infection that started in my nasal sinuses.  I live on the West Coast and traveled back east to see family and then to North Carolina.  I was having stomach problems prior but did not think it was anything serious.  So airline travel and swimming in the ocean are all part of this.

Here is the timeline.  I turned 41 in May.  June - I had a sore throat for 6 weeks, went to my primary doc in early July.  She asked if I had stomach problems I said no.  I was prescribed a Z-Pak (5 day antibiotic) for the sore throat.  My stomach did not feel right, I did eat yogurt and all that.  So now this is mid - July.  I was watching tv about a week after finishing the Z-Pak and my throat started spasm, cinching up is the best way to describe it.  I was really scared had no idea, went back to a different doctor in the practice, he gave me Aciphex.  I tried it for 1 week and had a worse sore throat.  Granted the doctor at this time did not say I had lpr, or communicate anything to me, I described my systems, gave me Aciphex and went on my way.  So the then this is Mid-August and we started traveling.  I had the Aciphex but did not like it, because I did not know and took Pepcid AC.  Came home, mid September got the bad sinus infection, could not breath, taste, smell horrible, worst ever.  Perscibed Cefuxime Axitel (antibiotic), 6 days into that my throat and ears swelled up, bad ear infection both ears, a childhood illness.

I did not mess around went to a young and new ENT was on Augmentin 875mg for 24 days tried Nasocort AQ and Afrin, actually I could not breath on these, seemed to make it worse.  I do not like either one of these and did not find them effective, tried these for 4 weeks, no results.  Finished that my stomach was on edge, I had lunch out, came home that evening and acid welled up into my throat. My ears have been popping and clicking everytime I swallow since mid-September, by the way.

Now this is early October, went back to ENT - had the nasal endoscopy and she said my laynx, red and swollen, she said the PPI would help my ears, but it would take a couple of months.  I was shocked, never heard of this before she told me to take 1 Prevacid - in the morning, well my insurance would not pay for this so I struggled on the samples and then went to Prilosec for 1 week this was during the month of November.  

Last week of November finally got into to see my Internist.  He started a new approach 2 Protonix a day with or without food, and Allegra D 24 hour.  The Allegra D worked great but not with my stomach, I became dizzy, nausea, headache.  So I am staying with Protonix only 2 times a day  and I just keep eating food, I did loose 10 pounds with all this.  I have gained about 2 back, I am a small person and did not want to loose weight.

So it has only been 6 weeks on double Protonix.  I am not sure if November on 1 PPI a day counts for anything in all this.  I have also been working out at a club to reduce stress and keep my immune system up.

Every morning I wake up and hope to be better - not yet.

My symptoms today: Swollen larynx, popping and clicking in my ears, feeling of swollen under my chin.  I have had blood tests chest, sinus x-ray and a CT sinus scan, they all normal, I get more results from the CT scan tomorrow.

When does the swollen larynx and ears go away? I feel like a loser and that I am the only one with this horrible feeling.  I see my internist tomorrow, so if anyone has any advice and hope please do share, thank you...m41
-7 Comments Post a Comment
The ear issues could be resolved through the use of Tubes. Those carry a set of issues too. But those are issues you need to decide if you want to live with or not.

A lot of ENTs can do them as an office procedure on adults.

Regarding the rest... no idea.
Hi:

Thanks for responding, I also went to Sonus, they provide free hearing tests.  My right ear has eustachian tube dysfunction, but not my left, this is all from the LPR  I think...I will have more answers tomorrow after my doc., appt.  I was a healthy person until all this...