Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Labyrinthitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Labyrinthitis

Has anyone on this site been diagnosed with Labyrinthitis?  If so, I would like to hear about your symptons and what treatment medical suggested and if you conquered it....

Thank You.

SallyG
Yes, i'm recently getting over it. I was at work and all of a sudden lost complete control of my balance and had extreme nausea. I ended up having my brother take me home but i was vomiting all night long. I thought it was food poisoning, but the next day the nausea and loss of balance continued. I ended up going to the ER (2) days later because the symptoms persisted. I was given a CT scan, 3 liters of fluids and anti-nausea medicine. Finally, two hours later the ER doc said my symptoms could be caused by an ear infection but he wasn't definite! He ended up sending me home with no conclusive answer (This was a sunday). Monday morning i went to my regular doc and had a brain MRI done just to make sure there was no tumor or cist. Finally, my doctor diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. He gave me methylprednisolone and my symptoms soon went away. It's only been 2 days since taking the meds but i feel almost 95% better. I've got to say, i hate being nauseated and dizzy and this past week is probably the worst i've felt in my life.

I dealt with labyrinthitis about 9mth ago and as soon as my Dr saw me and heard my symptoms the first diagnoises she came up with was labyrinthitis. I was amused my the name and still am she put me on stemzine 5mg (prochlorperazine meleate) it worked right away and with in about a week I was not needing the medication much at all.

I was dealing with balance issues, dizziness, nausea, I felt like I had to keep my eyes shut to reduce the symtoms (symptoms). I was using walls and people to stay more balanced or i would walk in to them. The bus was worst I felt like I going to be sick if I did not get off soon that was when I knew I had to see my Dr. I get dizziness alot but I'd never felt like this before I could barly even drink with out feeling like I was struggling to keep in down. tilting my head made me feel like I had just spun around in a circle to fast. I had delt with the same kind of symptoms about a 1mth earlier but I thought it was a migraine as I did have a slight headache with the symtoms (symptoms). but I'd never had nasusea with a migraine before and I also never struggled to drink before with headache or migraine. In the past it hurt to drink try to drink with migraine but this time I just felt like it was not going to stay down I was sipping lots but did not feel I was getting enough fluids that way. With in 3 days the symptoms got better till they hit me again this time with out any headache. I have had mild issues with these kind of symptoms since but nothing anywhere near as bad. I'm being sent to an ENT now mainly for my sinus problems but I do think my persistant symptoms are caused by my sinus's some how. I think my sinus's are not draining properly maybe, this might be happening because there never really open due to allergies. I recently started using spray to open my sinus's so I can breath threw my nose properly for the first time ever in my entire life. I've avoided using sprays most of my life till my phycologist said I had to learn to breath threw my nose and out my mouth if I want to reduce and get over my anxiety. It's working when I can breath threw my nose I feel so much more relaxed. I just wish there more permenant way to help this problem. I was gievn weekly injections when I was yonger to hopfully reduce my allergy responce and while it did reduce it a lot it never really solved the nose problem.

hope you feel better soon
Hi I was diagnosed with this today, been given some anti nausea medication, hope they work I have been throwing up for three days now, I'm dehydrated and weak, I've not had much sleep because I'm waking up with my head spinning and this strange backwards motion I get when I walk is driving me crazy. Felt like I was having some kind of stroke or seizure today, doc said ten days and I should be OK! Fingers crossed xxx
Poppy x
I have that horrible condition now -.- nothing has helped me conquer it yet I've had it three months. I'd like some tips for overcoming it as well if anyone has had success with getting over it. I feel like I will never be well again :( I'm dizzy constantly everyday!!!