Large bump in back of throat/back of tongue
So, I've been having a viral infection in my throat for about a month and a half. Today, I felt like something was stuck in my throat and so I made the not-so-smart decision of putting my finger down my throat. I felt a large bump on the back of my tongue/back of my throat, way deep down. I've been having trouble breathing lately (probably because of anxiety, as I also have anxiety problems) and I just want to know what this bump is and if it is resulting in my breathing issue at all. I think it could possibly be the epiglottis, as it causes me to gag if i touch it for a long time or too hard.  I've been to a regular doctor about other swollen throat issues, and they just say its a viral infection and has to run its course.  I last visited the doctor on Friday.  So, any ideas/help? (Also going to an expensive doctor is not really a solution, as my parents don't want to spend that kind of money.)
Sounds like it could be a lingual tonsil issue. These can swell from time to time. Your doctor may be right that it's only a viral issue.
Try gargling with a salt/water mix of approx 1-2 teaspoons of salt ( pickling salt is best, but table salt can be used) and see if this helps.
could it possibly be my epiglottis? after looking into it more, i really think that is it.
It is possible, yes.

If it makes you gag, don't touch it. Most people will gag when it's touched...in fact, you're supposed to gag if it's touched...it's there to keep you from swallowing anything dangerous...like your tongue, or large pieces of food. It's your body's defense system in action.

The epiglottis can become aggitated if you snore...if you're having breathing issues, this could be one of your problems.

Anxiety DOES cause breathing issues, as you know, but it's not always the main cause.

Have someone peek in on you in the night to listen to your breathing.
If you snore it can cause the epiglottis to " bounce back and forth, and get stuck"...only way I can think to describe it. lol
This can agitate it even more than normal...causing a variety of sore throat issues.

Hope this helps, and feel free to post back any time.
thank you very much
so my epiglottis is visible now. i can see it slightly over my tongue when i open my mouth and look with a flashlight. i am 15. what is going on?
never mind. went to the doctor and all is fine.