Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Large hole in upper tonsil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Large hole in upper tonsil

I have a large hole, approximately the size of the eraser on a pencil, in the upper part of my left tonsil. I have been to see an ENT with many years experience, who calls the whole a pocket. He said it will not go away. My biggest concern is, can the hole erode through a vein in my throat? I have always heard you can bleed to death from your tonsils, but I assume that would only be from having them removed. The ENT I saw said I didn't need to rush into a tonsillectomy, however, there are times when I get tonsil stones in that pocket and it is hard to clean it out. I am worried about tonsil cancer and also about the crypt or pocket enlarging and causing me to bleed. Is that possible or am I worrying over something minor? It appears there are some veins around that area of the throat, so just wondering. I will try to upload a photo.
Tags: tonsils