Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Laryngeal Spasms since thyroid problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Laryngeal Spasms since thyroid problems

I am now 52 and had surgery for an overactive thyroid when i was 28.  After I had surgery I started having a very sensitive larynx when I had any sort of cold or cough.   Sometimes the spasms are so bad that I completely stop being able to breath - perhaps for a minute and then continue to have severe breathing difficulties for some minutes after that.  I find the experience very scary although i try to stay calm.  I've had tubes stuck down my nose but my larynx looked fine.  That I expected as I only have problems when I have a cold or cough.  Is there anything I can do to stop them happening?
OMG!  I have the same problem... had a thyroidectomy in '93 with laryngeal nerve damage.  My vocal cords were paralyzed on one side for 6 months...now this doc is retired.  I have just had the paramedics called to my gym because I have this horrible stridor sound and inability to breath until I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to die....it subsides in about 2-5minutes.  Everyone was scared at the gym. It sounds horrible!   I am going to see an ENT on January 2....what is this?
try cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

excellent resource!
Hi Everyone
I have ben diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and I have had problems with swallowing I am trying to swallow and it just doesnt happen. I have had my airways close and be unable to breath in or out.
My last attack happened in a shop full of people and I couldn,t ask for help. I eventually recovered but am so scared that I wont get my breath.
Can anyone advise me on how to cope or if I need to go back to the doctor.
Thankyou
You have to see the doctor, no doubt about it.

Best rgds,

Thomas Antony