Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Left Ear Clogged

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Left Ear Clogged

Hello, i'm a 20 year old male, and recently have been noticing that I can't hear as good out of my left ear, like the sound is hitting something and not coming through all the way. I visited the ENT and they cleaned my ears out with an air vacuum, I was surprised since they usually use a water wash, and i'm not sure which is more effective.

I had an audiology test done and the test came back that my left ear did indeed have an issue hearing certain sounds (scoring a little more than less than average on the line). The doctor went on to say that it was possible I had "scarring tissue" on the ear drum, but this was never validated, nor did he see this, it was more of a guess.

It seems that this specific ENT was quick to dismiss alot of my symptoms, and that is why I don't think my problem is resolved. After the removal of the wax, I can hear somewhat better out of my left ear, but there was no "popping", it feels congested, like it needs to be popped. When I swallow I hear a noise in my ears, and when I yawn, it makes a noise and feels like it does when one has a cold and the ears are clogged.

He told me that it wasn't a eustacian tube problem, because the audiology test showed the ear drum reacted correctly to the noise, and that if anything was touching the ear drum, it would show, although i'm not sure about this, because i'm having eustacian-tube-problem symptions.

They gave me some nasal spray (even though my nose is fine). I'm wondering if I may have had a bad diagnosis, or what I should do from here? My left ear still feels muffled, and I haven't gotten a real straight answer about it, other than the hypothesis of scarring tissue. This just happened as of 2-3 weeks ago, with no trauma as well.

I can live with this, it's not a huge deal, but the constant feeling of wanting relief through popping and not getting it is irriating.

Any advice you have for me would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,

John
Tags: scar, test
definitely take the nasal spray.  spraying the medicine into your nose will eventually cause it to travel to your ears, since they are all connected by your sinuses.

as far as possible scar tissue, i am not sure since i am not a doctor, but it is quite possible that scar tissue had formed from a previous injury.  i would personally get a second opinion.