Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Long Lasting Sore Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Long Lasting Sore Throat

I've had a sore throat now for a little over two months.  It started in December when I noticed that the space right beneath my Adam's apple felt very tight, accompanied by a dull pain.  I didn't think much of it, but I remember feeling a vague ache in my ears.  In the middle of January, my throat started to feel scratchy.  I had light surgery done on my stomach for an unrelated matter at the end of January and ever since then, my throat has been very raw and painful.  I was told to wait as a sore throat was very common after endotracheal intubation, but it's been over a month now since the surgery and my throat has not gotten better.  I've been to an ENT and he slipped a small lighted camera into my nose and down my throat but merely told me that my voicebox was red.  He wants me to wait another two months before he proceeds with any more tests.  I've taken regular cough syrup, lozenges, Chloroseptic, I've slept with a vaporizer and a humidifier (not at the same time), I've used Nasonex, Mucinex, nasal irrigation.  It seems that my doctor thinks that I have a sinus infection or allergies, but shouldn't those clear up within several weeks?  The only thing I can think of is maybe I have post-nasal drip, but my nose is bone dry most days and I don't have a cough and I don't have to clear my throat that often.  Most days, however, my throat burns and I still feel that tight, dull ache beneath my Adam's apple.  I also feel little aches and pains beneath my jaw, radiating down to my collar bone.  I've tried to ignore it and wait it out, but it's getting a little worrisome.  Any advice?