Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Long term nasal issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Long term nasal issues

I have always had an issue with breathing through both nostrils at the same time along with random terms of having trouble hearing. The right nostril has always either been the only nostril that's been able have flowing air through it, or both with the right being clearly stronger stream. But I recently had a cold, and for the first time, I decided to try out a sinus rinse (before doing so I sprayed Phenylephrine .5% to help open up my nasal passages). When I sprayed through my right nostril the stream came out through my throat with practically no resistance. But when I tried to spray through my left nostril it wouldn't flow to the slightest bit, even with pressure. Also what made me want to clear out my nose so promptly is because when I tried to pop my ears I became very intensely dizzy (by blowing with my nose clenched).
I would like to know if this is normal and would if it be necessary to go to the doctor to check it out. Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The obstruction o one side could be due to a deviated nasal septum. It could also be due to a nasal polyp. To find a cure you need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.