Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Loss of voice after throat surgery to remove polyp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

An ENT recently found a polyp in my throat and recommended surgery.  At the time the only symptom I had was a feeling something was stuck in my throat but my voice was fine.  The polyp was removed and is benign.  When I woke from surgery I couldn't talk.  It has been a week since surgery and the most voice I have is a whisper with effort.  The pitch fluctuates and the best way I can describe the sound is like someone with laryngitis.  Is it normal to experience this after polyp removal?  How long should I wait for the voice to return before seeking help?
I think it's normal to lose one's voice when you just had a throat surgery.

By the way, was wondering what exactly did you mean by feeling something was stuck? Is it a very apparent sensation or can you barely feel it?

I'm experiencing something similar and I wonder if it's polyp.
I had the same surgery  done a week ago, I have a very hoar voice from the surgery, I was wondering how you are today?Did you voice inprove and how long were you hoar.

Good Luck
I am having surgery soon for the same problem, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if your put  to sleep or are u awake while having the operation, please can someone tell me im really worried as i have about 3 polyps to be removed.
thanks
I had surgery 5 days ago to remove polyps from my throat. i did not talk for 3 DAYS per dr orders, but i do not have my viice back as yet.how long does it take?
I had a polyp removed two years ago and my voice has gotten worse and worse, its is now all but gone and very very sore, any advise.
I had surgery 8 days ago to remove polyps from my voice box and can still only talk in a whisper. I was told to rest my voice for a couple of days,which I did, but still no improvement. If anyone is reading this who has any advice on this I would be very grateful to hear it.