Loss sense of smell
I'm 56, in good health except for my on going runny nose. I lost my sense of smell about 10 years ago. The only way I can restore it is with Steroid treatments. I avoid foods that I’m allergic to, I’m HWP and stay active, my dog makes sure of that, I’m not a fan of steroids so I suffer. I can not remember the last time I had a full nights rest because my nose blocks and I get up to drink H20.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Jack, have you seen an ENT doc?  You could have something like nasal polyps or other inflammatory disease that might be very treatable otherwise.  I assume you were referring to oral steroids.  Have you had any success with nasal steroids?
Dear ENTMD,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post. I'll share a little history.

I have visited a great ENT at USC. The guy is awesome, but is as frustrated as I. I had nasal polyp surgery in 2000; he also corrected a severely deviated septum and that made a huge difference.  He put me on Zyrtec D and nasal spray; In addition I wash my sinus   with a mild saline solution everyday. I stopped the nasal spray after a year or so, too many nose bleeds and I found Zyrtec to be addictive, when I stopped taking it, my hands itch and I get itchy spots on my body.  This lasts for a few days and then goes away. I have not taken it in a year and feel much better. I am not so tired all the time.

Yes I’m talking about oral steroids, and they scare the heck out of me. I’ve read that they can be very tuff on your body. However, I take one of those seven day pack and they work great for about three days after I stop. I’ve found that exercise during the day helps keep my sinus passage open, but there is always a drip or runny nose.

I’ve checked everything in the house for dust, mold, and pet dander.  My dog has hair, not fur, and gets a weekly bath and never sleeps with me. I don’t eat bad foods and my combined cholesterol is 155. I’m basically living like a boy in the bubble.

When I sleep, or try, is when it blocks and I awake with blocked nose and dry mouth.  So any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jack
Tough problem to say much about from afar, Jack.

CT scan to evaluate for level of inflammation, polyp formation; you may be a candidate for a revision/touch-up surgery.  Allergy evaluation.  Mucosal biopsy.  Just some thoughts.
Again, thank you for your comments. I researched inflammatory disease and symptoms and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Of late I have pain in my sholders as well as my right knee. These are pains I've not had before.
What type of MD should I see?

Thanks,

Joack