Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lost my sense of SMELL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lost my sense of SMELL

Is there a cure or a way to get my sense of smell back?
I recently had the flu, and was recovering from the worst parts, but still coughs and have stuffy nose. Well nothing seem wrong with catching the common cold once a year because of weather changes. But here's the serious issue that scared me. I have endless boogers (mucus) building up in the back of my nose. I blow it out and it creates again, but then this time i messed up. I didn't blow hard or anything I just kept blowing slowly and slowly (only one side of my nostril; my right side). I feel like it's all coming out even the ones i wasn't able to get before. After all the thick boogers came out that side of my nostril seem open and cleared out. Then I sudden felt something different, it was my sense of smell. I quickly squirt some soap into my hands and tried to smell. I totally lost my sense of smell, i smelled nothing. My heart started to pound and I fear that it might be permanent. So, anyone knows if i will ever smell again or did i blow out something that gives me the ability to smell and will never be able to smell ever again.  =(
Tags: nasal, congestion, nose, smell, Sense of smell, lost sense of smell, can't smell, mucus, how can i smell again, nostrils, permanent lost of smell
Don't panic. This is all part of a sinus infection.
Try using a sinus rinse. You can buy them in most stores.
Follow the directions and you should be on your way to smelling again in no time.
Thank you for the information I never had this before that's why it was a bit scary experience fore me. Thanks a lot! =D