Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lost singing ability, lump in throat feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi, sorry - this is a bit of a long one:

CURRENT SYMPTOMS

Right now, I have lost my upper range and have to belt to get a note in that range. The lower range is shaky and weaker and I do not have very much ease in producing or holding a note.

My speaking voice is weak as well and goes a little hoarse sometimes and when I say something with a higher pitch, I struggle a lot and can feel it is straining - the ability isn't really there anymore. In the beginning my voice used to get really tired after talking for a bit but it seems to be less fatigued now but with greater strain.

My throat is very tight and I feel a lump sensation, especially when swallowing, right below the adam's apple. It always feels like there is mucus in my throat and am constantly trying not to clear it (which is tough).

BACKGROUND INFO/HOW IT HAPPENED

Almost 4 weeks ago, after singing for a rehearsal, my throat felt a bit tight. The next morning I could tell that something was wrong as my voice seemed weaker and my throat seemed constricted or tight. Throughout the weak I sang scarcely but didn't decide to go on total vocal rest until the end of that week when it wasn't getting better.

I took almost a week off of talking and singing and by the end of it, it seemed to feel better for a couple days and though my voice was still weaker, I had an easier time singing again and my throat didn't feel tight. fFom there I got a very bad virus/sore throat which may have been strep. I continued to not sing but was back on talking.

The virus went away about a week ago (though I still feel fatigued, my ears are un-popped, and have nose congestion) but my voice is still not great. I went for an ultrasound and blood test for my thyroid and those results were normal.

Now just waiting for my ENT appointment on the 24th but hoping to get some advice in the meantime as I need to get back to things.

Thanks,
Wade
Oh also, I've been getting headaches quite often since.
Really, sorry - I forgot something else that may be important so I want to add to this one more time: I am also shorter on breath and I can tell not as much air is getting pushed through. I know this because I have to take more breaths when singing in places I don't normally have to and when working out I can tell I have to breathe a lot more.
I have a few suggestions for you, for voice and lung problem. Let me know your progress, when you feel the benefit.
For the voice problem - keep whole black pepper,sugar candy(diamond shaped),mulethi (liquorice stick) in your mouth and suck slowly. Drink warm water and avoid cold drinks.

Thyroid point – press the fleshy bit on palm between  the base of thumb and wrist on both hands. Where you  feel sharp pain when you press, that is your thyroid point and vocal point -  you press it 10 to 50 times daily.

Clear your throat, then clear your throat in reverse. Do this 5 times.

Bhastrika pranayam - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Place your fists, with the thumb pointing up, on the the legs, above the the knee, and do bhastrika for two minutes.Repeat this  a) with the fists upside down, so that the thumb is pointing down, and resting on the legs, b) with the thumb pointing inwards  c) with the thumb pointing outwards. This will help very much as the lungs open up in different ways.
Repeat this 3 to 8 times during the day.
February 10 ,2012
You may still have some of the viral effects, sometimes they hang on for weeks and weeks.  Not much I'd recommend before seeing the ENT, besides salt water gargles (1/2 teaspoon per cup of warm water).

Also, Google "Functional Dysphonia", which is something you may have, but I'd wait until after the ENT appt. before trying any other treatment.

Good luck
I think I have the exact same thing.  Mine started on Feb 5th.  I'm not a professional singer, but I've been a many musical productions for community theaters in this area, and I used to sing a good bit in church choirs, weddings, etc.  I still have a lump in my throat that comes and goes, and the high notes just aren't there at all.  In fact, I can't sing any higher than my regular speaking voice, which is baritone.  It's like those muscles don't work anymore.  It's really distressing.  I had the ultrasound done to check for thyroid problems, but I'm pretty sure it will come back normal. I haven't been to an ENT yet.  Good luck with your voice, and let me know what you find out.
Any update? I have the same problem!