Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump Under Jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump Under Jaw

Hi, just last night, I was laying in bed, and rolled to my right side, and as I turned my head over on my pillow, I noticed it was painful.
Today. I've noticed it all day, there is a slight lump on the right side under my jaw.  It is moveable, and isn't excruciating just yet. When I apply pressure, or face my head downwards,  it gets very sore.  I am very curious to know if this is heard of commonly or not, and if it is a serious problem.  Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, the painful lump under the jaw could most probably be a lymph node. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. You could see if any of the draining areas have any evidence of infection, like the throat, tonsils, the skin, tooth abscess or an ear infection. If you develop any additional symptoms like sore throat or ear pain or fever, consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen). Regards.

That was my first guess, but it's on the bone under my jaw.  It's to the right of my lymph node, and back slightly.  I suppose it could be the same thing, but just not sure. If it doesn't subside in about a week, I will get it checked out.
Hello Casidy, Has it gone down or moved at all ?