Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump behind my neck and cheek

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump behind my neck and cheek

I have a lump behind my neck under hairline and another one on my cheek.. They are not painful. I found the one on my neck while I was showering while the other one was when i was scratching my face. I found them two months ago. they didn't change in size or appearance. I want to know what is wrong with me. I'm getting really worried now. Should i ask my mom to make an appointment with my pediatrician?? I'm 17 by the way.. I have a history of urinary tract infection.. I had it twice, the latest one was 2 years ago.. I don't know if that can help..  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It may not be related to thr urinary tract infection. The swelling could be a lymph node. It could also be a sebaceous cyst, a boil or an insect bite. Lymph node enlargement is usually due to infections like bacterial and viral. The source of infection for you appears to be on the tongue.  Treatment is usually with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications. So, consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thanks for your reply. Mom said she'll book an appointment with my pediatrician. Sorry for the late response..
By the way, is a sebaceous cyst or boil painful when touched?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

A boil has some pus, is inflamed and red and can cause pain. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac under the skin filled with a cheese-like or oily material. They most often arise from swollen hair follicles. They are not painful, unless infected.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.