Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump feeling in throat/dizziness/vertigo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have been having a problem with intermitent dizziness and vertigo for about 8 months now. It seems like I have it a few days, then it will go away. But it always seems to come back. It strikes when I move my head, usually by looking down, not so much by looking side to side. It will also sometimes occurs when I stand up. During this last 8 months, I have also had a feeling of a lump in my throat. This is harder to explain. It feels kind of like there is an air bubble in my throat. It gets progressively worse over the course of the day (it isn't there when I wake up, and gets worse as the day goes on). It is also worse when I'm sitting for long periods (i.e. at my desk job) as opposed to on the weekends when I'm up and about and doing things. The lump feeling is somewhat relieved when I burp. My stomach is also more noisy than normal, usually after I eat. It sounds like it is growling, but I don't feel hungry. I'm not sure if the stomach sounds and the lump in throat feeling could be connected or explained by me swallowing excess air. I had an MRI in October that revealed I have a nasal retention cyst in my upper maxillary sinus (I think). I also had an endoscopy in September that showed no signs of a hiatal hernia or GERD. The only explanation my gastro doc could offer is that I could have acid reflux problems, but I have been on prescription Prilosec for a few weeks and have had no relief from the lump feeling. Please let me know what you think