Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump in my throat...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump in my throat...

First of all, I am a 16 year old female with no serious medical conditions (besides childhood asthma and multiple ear infections but it's been years since that), average weight and all in all, pretty healthy. For the past, hmm, year and a half now, I've been feeling like there is a giant lump in my throat. It gets worse when I drink milk or have dairy products (i.e. yogurt) and at night. Some times in the morning or right before I go to bed the lump actually feels like it's blocking my trachea and I have these short fits that make me feel like I can't breathe (though they only last a few seconds it's enough to freak me out). I'm really getting worried. No one seems to take me seriously, but it's hard to swallow saliva even... I find myself eating more because the only time the pressure is relieved is when I'm eating but then it comes right back. I saw another question simliar to mine that suggested tea, but that didn't work barely... I'm getting really freaked out and I was wondering if this is anything serious or am I just imagining things? If there's a way to even help me a little bit, I'll do it... Is there any advice/help out there that you would reccomend for me? Please??
Hi.  You should ask your doctor to refer you to a GI specialist.  They should check for evidence of acid refluxing from your stomach up into your esophagus (which is in your throat) as well as to see if you have a hiatal hernia.  

Acid reflux can be aggravated by dairy products and by laying flat.  If you are found to have this problem (often called G.E.R.D.), they will want you to try to avoid offending foods, such as dairy products, fried foods, acidic foods/drinks, etc., not to eat anything at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime & to sleep with the head of your bed elevated (use a wedge under the top half of your mattress if you don't have a hospital bed or something).  

They may want to order a swallow study, where you swallow various foods and liquid that has some barium in it and they take x-rays to see how well your swallowing is working.  While small hiatal hernias typically cause no symptoms, if you have a larger one, they can potentially cause problems.  One symptom can be trouble with swallowing.   See private message for more info on this.

A different test they might do is an upper endoscopy, where they take a look with a small tube down your throat at your esophagus, stomach and duodenum (the latter being the first part of your small intestine).  Not common, but sometimes the thyroid can get a growth on it that can cause trouble with swallowing (thyroids are checked by the doctor feeling it and by ultrasound), but with your dairy link, I doubt this is the problem.

Please see your doctor about this and if your current doctor does not take you seriously, I hope you can find a better doctor.