Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump in the upper middle of the back of neck.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I am worried about a lump which I have noticed on the back of my neck. It is right in the centre of the back neck and ends about 1/2cm before my hairline. It is more noticable when I lean my head forward or lay down.  I cannot notice it if my neck is in a normal, standing position.The lump is slightly closer to my head than my back. It is solid, it almost feels like bone. It does hurt slightly when I poke at it. I am also fairly certain that it increases/decreases in size slightly( however I am not 100% sure on this). Any Idea on what this could be?
i have exactaly the same problem only it is on the left side of my neck. the lump is very large and feel like it is under my muscle. it is not painfull although the top of my back on that side dose sometimes ache. if you have found out what cause it or what it is please let me know.

thanks.
i have also the same problem and im getting very worried.. i've had my lump on the back of ma neck for  over a month.. At first i thought it was due to when i sprained my neck.. i was cracking my neck one morning and i pulled a muscle i guess and i felt this lump but thought it was due to the pulled muscle.. the lump doesnt hurt but it is some what of a discomfort.. recently i've been tired but i cant blame it on the lump since i dont get much sleep. The lum is small and hard its right between the hair line and back of my neck .. when i press on it..it doesnt really hurt but it does bother me from time to time.. I am goin to the doctor this Friday to get it checked out and then going to a diff doctor the following Friday to get a second opinion.. ill keep u guys posted.
I have a lump lil bigger then a pea on my right side of kneck.. its about a inch behind the right ear and just below my hair line.. I didn't notice it till this morning. And My head hurts really bad an my kneck is really hurting as well.. I tried to contact all my doctors and no one is in.. So I'm going to the emergency room for a quicker answer to this problem.
Hi, I have the same problem, you'd be pleased to know it isn't cancerous, it's benign.
Some people that have these lumps, the lumps tend to fade away.
All it is is some fatty tissue all clumped together, they're usually pea sized and they don't really hurt and it kinda feels like bone.

If you're that worried about it however, go and see your GP, and you can get it cut out.

Hope that helps. :)
Yes, had same problem, lump just below hair line, Dr said was due to ear infection. Have this on and off for 10 years, now I have a large lump under my arm and have 2 on back of my neck, going back to Dr.