Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump on Right Side of Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump on Right Side of Throat

A few weeks ago I noticed that I had a feeling of a lump on the right side of my throat. It is on and off and usually occurs at night when I am laying down in bed. It is not every day and I am wondering if it has something to do with stress.

The other day, I noticed that it kind of looks like my right tonsil is swollen, which is probably the lump I am feeling. I have no pain, I do not smoke, and I rarely drink. I am a 24 year old female. The main reason it bothers me is because when I swallow, it feels like mucus gets caught in that area. When I eat it feels like it is easier to swallow.

I found information online about a Cricopharyngeal spasm, which is caused by stress. Some of the symptoms seem accurate, but others are not. For example, it is only on one side of my throat. I have not been able to go to the doctor yet, and am hoping to get an appointment next week. I have also found information stating that it could be my tonsils fighting infection or a virus. But then wouldn't it be both tonsils and not just one? If it is caused by stress, the fact that I have it stresses me out more and worries me!