Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump on right side of throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump on right side of throat

I'm an 18 year old girl who's an overall healthy girl. I was a smoker off and on for a year but quit recently. Lately I don't know what the heck is going on with me. I have a lump on the lower right side of my neck that I can feel. It hurts to touch and hurts to swallow. Sometimes when the lump in my throat hurts the right side of my ear hurts as well. The gland behind my ear is swollen, but it's been like that since I was around 14. I feel like I can't lay on my right side because it feels like in going ton choke if I fall asleep. I have shortness of breath and sometimes painful chest pain randomly. It feels like someone is crunching my upper chest like it's going to explode. My ear feels full all the time, I'm constantly coughing, I'm extremely tired ALL the time, sometimes it feels like I lose strength in the right side of my body. I had an MRI done in May of '07 and the doctor said that everything was fine and that it was just stress. It wasn't as bad back then as it is now. The headaches are worse... I can't stand it. I've been to the doctors and got blood work done on my stomach and everything came back fine. I went to the hospital and had an EKG done and that came back fine. I had blood work to see if I had a blood clot and that was normal. I had an xray done on my lungs and bloodwork done to see if I had an infection and that came back fine. My oxygen levels are normal. I had my appendix checked and that was normal too. White cell count was normal. I don't understand was is wrong with me. I don't think it's stress... it hurts so much and it's SO frusterating :-( I feel like there is something severely wrong with me and everyone is shrugging it off. I feel like by the time I do figure this out it's gonig to be too late. I'm kind of a worry wart, but I don't want it to be something like throat cancer or something and then figure out that I have two months to live because everyone thought I was just overrreacting. I'm sorry this is so long, but does anyone have any idea what this could be so I can bring it up with my doctor and see if there's some other test or something we can do about it? Any help would be great.... thanks so much!
I think you might have a thyroid problem. I recently had a NMR on my throat and they found a non cancerous goiter. Which would explain a lump. My guess is Hypothyrodism if you have any of these symptoms then you probably have it. The opposite of this is hyperthyroidism which is what I was diagnosed with

* Fatigue and low energy levels
    * Depression
    * Slow heart rate
    * Unexplained weight gain
    * Intolerance to cold temperatures
    * Fatigued and aching muscles
    * Dry, coarse skin
    * Puffy face
    * Hair loss
    * Constipation
    * Problems with concentration
    * Goitre (enlarged thyroid gland).

As for the chest pain and headaches and constant coughing you might have allergies to something. The chest pain if it is not too severe could be correlated to the hypothyroidism.
Thats all I got I would research some more on your own and try to find a reliable doctor like a specialist for the throat and ears. Good luck