Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump on the back of the neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump on the back of the neck

Hi, I have a two year old son who has had a pea like lump on the back of his neck for approx 20 months.  I have taken him to the doctors several times but everytime the doctor tells me is it will go down within the next 3 months (I have now been told this three times!).  He has had one blood test which showed that he had no infections.  I am now very concerned as my GP has not informed me of possible causes or future treatments required if the lump persists.  When I touch the lump (which isn't very often as I don't want to disturb it) my son tells me that it doesn't hurt - which from my experience swollen glands are tender.  Does this rule out an infection??
Is there anything I can say to my GP to ensure that my son is receiving the correct treatment and I am being fully informed of whats happening?
I read something about mri's being used to investigate abnormal lumps - is this something I should be asking for?
I'm very concerned for my sons well being and would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
Gemma
Tags: Neck, lumps, years
I found a few years ago that I have lumps on the back of my neck too. I think they are just lymph nodes. I think some people just have more prevelant bumps than others. Feel on the back of your neck and see if you have them in the same spot. If I find a bump or something (dont laugh) I will feel my husband to see if he has a lump in the same spot. If you are really concerned, have you thought about getting a second opinion? They could probably do an MRI, but if your doc doesnt think it is necessary, you might have to go to someone else. Anyway, best wishes to you and your son. Please keep us posted!! Good luck!
I'll have to try that out with my husband next time i notice something strange!! (haha).
I've managed to get a doctors appointment tomorrow so will hopefully find out more.  I noticed the lump after my son had chicken pox nearly two years ago, i was originally told it was swelling due to the infection although even the doctor has passed a few comments about it not usually lasting so long.  The lump is really prominent and every one notices and asks me about it (i feel like such a bad mother when I say i don't know and he's had it for over a year).
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow - thanks for replying a reassuring me that its not too unusual and doesn't necessarily mean he a the 'C' word!
the lumps are on the side and back of my neck my doc told me to go to ear nose and throat doc but i dont have insurance im concerned
in the past year ive lost weight for no reason and i eat good but cant gain i still loose could this have something to do with the lumps on my neck im worried its some kind if cabcer