Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lump on the right side of my skull

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lump on the right side of my skull

I noticed while washing my hair last night a quarter sized lump on my skull approx. two inches above the base of my hairline and two inches in from my right ear. It is very painful when I put pressure on it and causes some dizziness/drowsiness. On the same side at base of my hairline I feel something that feels like swollen lymph nodes. Any ideas? Just hoping it isn't urgent.

(I did wake up with a headache of the left side of my head yesterday, and today the right side has hurt all day)

Hx:
Dx: with Vertigo 2 years ago, and ENG showed mild central dysfunction.
Neuro told me nothing about test other then, it isn't a big problem yet?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be a lymph node, more so as there is enlargement of other lymph nodes. It could also be a sebaceous cyst, a boil or an insect bite. Lymph node enlargement is usually due to infections like bacterial and viral. The source of infection needs to be determined.  Treatment is usually with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications. So, consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for pain relief you can use OTC Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.