Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Lymph Node on neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Lymph Node on neck

So a couple of months ago by accident I noticed a small lump like size of a fat grain of rice. It is in the area of on side of neck where Shoulder meets neck. Went to the ENT - he said its more then likely something benign. He had bad bedmanners - he was very businessy. I have had no symptoms.
Then a week later I notice a small lymph node on the right side of my neck middle part - looks to be the Deep Cervical one. It's soft - almost like a pressed piece of gum. Not a bump. You can't see it or locate it with your eyes until you touch it - its flat - semi soft etc. Again, this time no symptoms. Four weeks later I def. got the 24 hour stomach flu - my stomach got the ultimate cleaning I tell ya! Something I ate was killing my stomach.

Anywho - So the ENT wasn't concerned - went to the General Doc and he did a blood test and he said it came back PERFECT! I just can't stop worrying LYMPHOMA LYMPHOMA - as mine are painless and do not hurt. They have not changed size in weeks. I don't even know if I have had them all my life or what. I also have had bad pimples for years- on back, face and chest.

Any suggestions guys - ideas - comments? It has been eating away at me - I mean I can't do work or think straight as LYMPH NODES are on my mind 24/7. I am 22 btw - no family history of cancer etc, a male.
Hey I am experiencing something very siimilar to you. I am a 19 year old male and noticed a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck about 6 weeks ago. I can feel a sore or a 'crack' at the corner of my mouth on the left side, and my submandibular gland (as i was told by my doctor) is swollen on my left side. I had a bad throat infection which is starting to clear up slowly, after using 2 antibiotics. Well, after abotu a week of discovering the lymph node on the left side of my neck, i decided to examine the rest of my neck. I felt around and could feel 2 more on the right side, they cant be seen tho. This is when i got worried and went to a walk- in medical clinic. the doctor ordered a wbc and cbc test and everything came back normal. I waited about 4 weeks and the lymph node swelling had not gone down, it is not painless, has not grown much, and is rubbery when felt. Like you, I am starting to get paranoid that it is lymphoma or some kind of a head and neck cancer. I have asked many doctors about their opinions and they have disagreed. I went in for a mono, h pylori, and another wbc, cbc, and hemoglobin test today and am waiting for the results so i can be reffered to a ENT. Anyways to ease your paranoia, the main symptoms of Lymphoma are:
- rapid weight loss
- extreme night sweats
- lymph nodes that may be hard when felt, or grow in size over a certain period of time
- extremely itchy skin
- fever
It has now been abotu 7 weeks that these nodes have been swollen and i am really worried at this point. i dono what it could be, but hopefully its not lymphoma or a head and neck cancer.
I've now gone without touching the lymph node for about a 2 days. So thats good for me! I went in to a general doc weeks ago and he said - "Oh, you have no symptoms, and they are not hard, or feel over 1 cm, and they definit. are not matted so I really think its nothing you should stop worrying yourself"... that helped me for a week - then I came back and started touching. Errrrrrrr. Chances are its nothing - but the thought of death is always in the back of my head - its at the point where it interferes with my thinking of college and work. He did order a blood test - and I'm not sure what kind - but I guess someone can help and tell me - as I never did have a blood test before. Does that mean its a certain type of blood test if its the first time I have ever seen him?