Ear, Nose & Throat Community
MRI EAR DAMAGE???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

MRI EAR DAMAGE???

Hello, Two Days ago (on 17 of July 2010) I had an MRI for my shoulder. Unfortunately I did it without earplugs. It was about 25 minutes of very loud noice but I didn't feel ear pain. After the MRI exam everything sounded muffled for a while (about 10 minutes). Now two days after, I think that my ears are more sensitive in louder sounds and I hear much louder sounds like aircondition, cars, etc. I'm a afraid If I have a permanent problem like hyperacusis!!!! Please, could anybody WHO DID MRI TEST WITHOUT EARPLUGS had an experience like that? Was this experience temporary? or permanent?  Thank you....!
I can't believe the tech was that FOOLISH to let you do the MRI WITHOUT plugs or ear protection; that is an ABSOLUTE NO.  Usually, the MRI would be cancelled if a patient does not comply with wearing ear protection and the ordering physician is notified.  I have never heard or seen such a situation as a medical professional.  

I would be getting to an ENT Specialist ASAP to sort out your situation; assess if any damage was done.  I can't say whether this is permanent or not.  For you sake, I hope it is not.  

Hi thank you so much for your answer.
In fact, the physician told me to wear ear protection but I refused because in the past I had an MRI in a diferent MRI Machine and the sound was not loud or disturbing.....so I thought that I would have no problem with the sound. After I refused the physician told me "Ok, If you don't want, don't wear earplugs." I didn't know how strong was the sound otherwise I wouldn't refuse the earplug protection. Today (4 days after the MRI examination) I can say that the problem I have is that I find anoying the loud music...I mean before the MRI I was listening to my stereo on Volume 5, now I prefer listening to volume 3 because I find volume 5 anoying. The first 2 days the problem was biger. I also noticed that my ears ar more sensitive in specific frequencies, like bell ringing....metalic noices....I prefer listening to music with higher "bass" level than "treble" level. Higher "treble" level is a little bit anoying to me.
Anyway I red in www.mrisafety.com the following: "Transient hearing loss may occur following exposure to loud noise, resulting in a temporary threshold shift (i.e., a shift in audible threshold). With regard to acoustic noise associated with MR imaging, Brummett et al. reported temporary shifts in hearing thresholds in 43% of the patients scanned without ear protection and patients with improperly fitted earplugs. Recovery from the effects of noise occurs in a relatively short period of time. However, if the noise insult is particularly severe, full recovery can take up to several weeks. If the noise is sufficiently injurious, a permanent threshold shift at specific frequencies may occur."
I would like to visit an ENT specialist to check my ears, even If I feel ok but I'll do it after two weeks in order to see how the symptoms will continue.
Thank you so much for your help. I think that the physician shouldn't have left me do the MRI test without ear protection. If she had told me that wearing earplugs is mandatory, I should have definetly worn them.
My psychology is very bad after that MRI test...I feel something like phobia with the sound as I love music so much and I don't want to have problem in my ears. I red about hyperacusis and I'm so afraid about that.
I hope everything goes fine and not to be so unlucky.

Yes, this physician showed "poor judgement" in saying it was "ok" for you to NOT wear ear protection to put it politely.  

Yes, please get assessed.  It is nice gathering information on the internet, but it is NOTHING like an actual assessment with a REAL physician.  
Thank you....I'll make an apointment with an ENT specialist. I PRAY everything to be allright.
Good luck with everything; all the best.