Mastoid Air Cell Disease
In November 2008, I had a cold that resulted in the feeling of having water in the right ear and could not pop the ear drum.  I procrastinated in seeing a ENT doctor for I thought it was a residual affect of the cold and would go away as time passed. I could take my right hand pointer finger, place it behind my ear and apply pressure and had the feeling of water on the ear.  Also, sometimes when I talk it feels like I can hear myself with an echo.  No pain in the ear just minor discomfort at times.

After about a year of it not going away, I went through the normal progression from personal physician, to ENT physician, then to the University of Pennsylvania ENT specialist.  Upon the completion of CT imaging, I was informed that the external, middle and inner looked fine and there is nothing that can be done.  I was informed that with time it will resolve itself, but concerned now with the length of time already being experienced.

I just received the results from the Radiologist in writing from their evaluation, which consisted of:

"Evaluation of the right temporal bone demonstrates developmental underpneumatization.  There are scattered opacified air cell ast the mastoid tip, but the air cells in the body of the temporal bone are well pneumatized.  The external auditory canal is patent.  The hypotympanum, middle ear cavity, epitympanum, round and oval windows are patent.  There is normal course and caliber of the facial nerve.  The ossicles are normal in configuration.  The inner ear structures are grossly remarkable.

Visualized paranasal sinuses are clear.  Impression: 1. Unremarkable left temporal bone; 2. Underpneumatization of right temporal bone with scattered opacified mastoid air cells."

Since this issue has been going on for over a year, I am becoming minorly concerned.  I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on treatment or next steps to resolve the possible mastoid air cell disease.

Thank You for your time in reading and responding to the above situation.

PAGO