Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Mastoiditis, Worried.....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Mastoiditis, Worried.....

My hears have hurt for about four days now and feel wet inside but nothing really comes out. For around three months I have had a lump behind my ear that I thought was a swollen lymph node, it is behind the ear that hurts less weird enough. My neck is also sore and my head hurts. Today I figured I must have an ear infection and went to the ER since I don't have any insurance and I can never manage to get in the free clinic around here. The doctor looked in my ears and said they didn't look infected but my throat was a little red. He felt my neck and said I probably have mastoiditis but I would need a CAT scan, which I can't afford, to confirm it. I was prescribed Amoxicillin, four a day for ten days. Hopefully that will clear it up, I am just really worried because apparently what I have can be serious. Its also rare in adults so I don't know why I got it, I don't remember having an ear infection recently which could have caused it. Will I be okay? I'm kind of freaked out about the whole situation, the fact that I have panic disorder doesn't help but maybe I'm making too big a deal of it.

There are symptoms in you suggestive of mastoiditis. Your feeling of ear fullness is because of eustachian tube blockage. A swelling behind the ear can be a lymph node secondary to scalp or skin infection. Regarding the sore throat, drink plenty of warm water, do gargles with povidone iodine (1:1 dilution). Avoid chilled and oily food for few days. Do steam inhalations 2 - 3 times/day for few days.

Do not worry, no need of CAT scan. Keep informed, we will try to help you out.

Regards
OHNS2010

Please do continue the antibiotics along with the medications I suggested. All the Best.

Regards
OHNS2010