Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Maxillary Sinus Mass :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Maxillary Sinus Mass :(

I have partial opacification of my left maxillary sinus.  In looking at the ct, the "item" seems to be located towards the front and nasal side.  From the different CT layers, it looks quazi pyramid shaped and goes about 2/3 up (diagnollay)  the middle of the maxillary cavity.  There is very small peices of calcifacation within the mass, and IS seemingly NOT effectiing any other area of the sinus.  No bone invasion nor minipulation of any other area is prevalant.  The right Max is very clear.  I have had heavy post nasal mucus for a good portion of my life and was never treated for it.  I have had streaks of blood/ Pink Phlegm in my septum pretty constant for a period of time (2-3 months) and very periodically months before.  I finished a round of Augmenten a few weeks ago, and the blood appearences have minimized and the pink phlegm even more so.  I didn't finish the Rx and went back for a follow up where they identified the thing on CT.  The first ENT I saw recomennded Surgery and I sought out a second opinion.  I feel much better with the new doc, and after review he is going to put me on a steriod, and a longer dose of anti's.  We'll take another look at it in a couple of weeks and see if it has shrunk.  No other history of sinus infection that I can account for other than general "hayfever" type symptoms and no virus I can really account for.  The last endoscopy I had the ENT said there was some ("polipus imflamation???).  Overall, he said not to worry much, and follow up in 2-3 weeks.  I'm scheduled 2 weeks from yesterday.

Anyway - I'm a wreck.  I am a hypochondriac and think obsessivly about my health.  If takes over my life.  I know sinus cancer is a rare occurance, but it's the only thing I am fixated on (ACC, lymphoma, melonoma or the possiblity of any other malignancy is taking me over)  From the extensive reading I've done it's most likely a fungas, infection or a slew of other things other than a malignancy.  I have not reviewed any CT's where a malignancy didn't invade some other structure or didn't have complete opacification of the cavity.

In the end, are there any thoughts you have on the likelyhood of what is inside my face what thoughts on probablities based on what I have given you to determine the likelyhood of a malignancy.  I know it's not worth worrying about, but I can't get my brain to accept that.  Let me know if you have any concerns or questions I need to forward on to my ENT.  

I am a 31 yr old male - 165lb - Physically Healthy
Tags: mass, Cancer, sinus, CT
This is a unilateral condition with no obstruction of the nasal passages.  I am breathing great.
Anyone?
Not sure if this helps, I had complete opacification on left maxillary, Partial on right. Had the surgery,, it was not cancer. Went on antibiotics so many times, and it didnt help. Finally did ct and found out what was wrong. Polyps are so common, its probably nothing scary. Good Luck, and try and stay calm.
No reason to doubt your doctors' diagnoses.  What often happens is an infection gets encapsulated inside your sinuses, and antibiotics won't penetrate it, and it can lead to calcification or polyps.  If you get to it early enough with a sinus flush you can remove the mass, but at this point, I would stick with your doctor's recommendation to remove it surgically.  However, you can still read about the reasons for your problem, and later on you can prevent the problem from reoccuring:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322/The-Sinus-Flush

Thanks friggy and nos....no real change yet, but did go almost a week without the blood...came back today.  I hadn't had a beer for two weeks until yesterday....wonder if that could relate.  I have follow up ct on 1/7.  Ill let you know what's up then.