Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Mrs.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Mrs.

what to do about fluid in ear with vertigo?
Usually when fluid in the ear is a constant problem(which can cause vertigo), the Eustachian tube is almost always the culprit. The Eustachian tube is a tube that links the nasopharynx to the middle ear. The Eustachian tube also drains mucus from the middle ear. So if it becomes swollen shut or clogged, the symptoms you described will occur.  

For those that experience chronic daily problems with Eustachian tube dysfunction, benefit by aggressive control of allergies (with antihistamines, decongestants, and prescription nasal sprays). Allergy evaluation can be helpful. In severe situations, a "pressure equalization tube" (PET) can be surgically placed in the eardrum, replacing the role of a functioning Eustachian tube and thus guaranteeing equalization (and draining) of middle ear pressure.

An ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor would be your best bet to get this resolved in a timely manner. If you cannot afford a doctors visit talk to a pharmacist to see if there are any over the counter treatments that you can try.

Best of Luck.
Thank you. I"ve been perscribed Mucinex D and Antivert twice. What I can gather this is not an easy fix. I have an appt.@ community clinic coming up. I will certainly mention the tube. Again thanks for your prompt answer.
The Mrs.