Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Mucous/Scabs in Nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Mucous/Scabs in Nose

I hope that someone here can help with this even. My nose has a somewhat scab/crust on the inside. It first started at the top tip of one nostril but now I have 2 more areas that have crust on both sides of the center part of my nose. This has been going on for over 8 months (not an exaggeration) and gotten progressively worse.  

Basically it started out at the tip of my nose in the center.  It seemed that mucous came down the top of my nostril and settled at the top tip of my nose and so of course I removed the crust, which in turn created a sore, which would bleed and then that scab would mix with more mucous and crust... repeat scenario over and over. The sore is very small, but still very aggravating, painful and the crust is visible when there. Also, this sore sometimes has a strange smell to it... kind of like a musty strange smell, like pollen smells... i know, it sounds so weird.

Then in the last 2 weeks, more mucous has been draining in my nose, not at the tip only now, and now I have these scabby areas in both nostrils on the center side and then at the top tip of one nostril...  

I do not feel as though I have a sinus infection, so I am unsure where the mucous is coming from. and when I asked my doctor about it a couple of months ago, when it was just that one sore at the tip, she said that noses drain wierd sometimes and there isnt anything to be done but wipe your nose... great diagnosis and advice huh

Anyways, the mucous/blood scabs are quite aggravating and I can feel them which causes me to want to remove them, which doesnt help in the long run.

I know people say, don't pick the scabs, and I try, but it just keeps building up and I eventually have to.  I need answers to

Why is mucous draining down the top of my nose... how to i remove the scabs without making it worse... and how can I end this all together... this is driving me a little bonkers...

Sorry for the long explanation I just wanted to describe it with as much detail as I could and thanks for any advice that is given!

I believe that this can be caused by a staph infection. There is an ointment (prescription) called Mupirocin which can help. Ask your doctor.