Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Mucous stuck in throat/nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Mucous stuck in throat/nose

For the past few months I have had what seems to be a booger stuck between my throat and my nose. No matter how hard I blow my nose, it will not come out. Sometimes I can feel it there, and when I blow I can feel/hear it vibrating but it just won't come out. Sometimes it seems to be in my throat, it feels like I could "loogie" it up, but I can't do that either. If I swallow, I can feel my throat drag it down from my nose, but I can't swallow it. This problem has been bugging me a lot recently because I am a singer/actor and I just finished a show, and it just seems to be getting worse. It seems like my nose is always plugged on the right side. The past few days I have experienced dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. This seems to have affected my sleep quite a bit as well. Two days ago I developed what seems to be a "common sinus cold" and now this problem is at its worst. My eyes are beginning to hurt and my ears as well. I have had a lot of chest congestion and mucous in the throat, and I have taken Benalyn and different cold medications but the little booger is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anyone?
Have you tried rinsing your sinuses out with salt water? There are LOTS of products that you can buy to do this at the drug store... or you can just make your own salt water solution at home using boiled water that has completed cooled to room temp (you boil the water first just to make sure it is totally sanitary... and you let it cool so you don't burn or irritate yourself, it must be room temp!) and the SMALLEST amount of salt (you don't want to irritate your sinuses, and don't try this without salt, you'll be sorry! it will hurt so much without salt that you'll probably be screaming!! it doesn't hurt at all with salt though... I don't know why, but that's just the way it is... and the salt is what cleans your sinuses out anyway... but MORE salt is NOT good, just use a tiny bit!)... I'd say about a 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon for a cup of water... and then you just pour the room temp salt water into your nose and it comes out the other side of your nose or your mouth... although it should come out the other side of your nose if your head is the right way (to the side). Do this over a sink. You can use the measuring cup your made this in or a teapot or something to pour the water... or go buy a "nose bulb" that is used for cleaning out babies noses at the drug store... or any sort of irrigation syringe... nose bulbs and irrigation syringes make the pouring step a lot easier.  

I bet that'll do the trick!

Oh... and make sure to stop doing this right away if you feel any ear pain!! And don't like... force the water if it's not going in! If your nose is totally blocked, you could pop your ear because the water needs to go Somewhere and if your nose is totally blocked that will usually be out your ear... so don't ever blow your nose too hard or force anything like liquid up your nose... only ever gently wash your sinuses out.

If that doesn't work, go see a doctor. Or if you experience any pain while doing that, go see a doctor.
If your problem was one of mucus, I could recommend a method that I would guarantee would remove it.  However, your problem sounds like more of a minor physical problem, so I'll recommend one thing only--go see an ENT.
I am having the same issue with formation of boogers up my nose and it gets stuck in there and trying to swallow doesn't work and trying to blow it out doesn't work either. However, whenever IT WANTS TO, I get huge boogers (size of a dime) suddenly expelled out either through mouth or nose. I think that whenever they stay lodged in there too long, it causes infection and then I am miserable for weeks and weeks!!! I had a mucosal ablation procedure done to my nose so it seems to help about the breathing part but still not about the mucus sitting between nose and throat.
Hi can anyone help me I started getting a lot of mucus in my throat a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding it very hard to eat as it feels like the food is getting stuck I'm my throat I can cough some of it up everyday but it is still there with the feeling of swallowing a lump