Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Mucus-like feeling in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Mucus-like feeling in throat

For the past several months it feels like there is something mucus-like in my throat. When I swallow it doesn't go down. When I wash out my mouth some of it comes up and gets all over my tongue and I have to use a toothbrush to get it out, but after awhile my throat fills up with this mucus-like stuff again. I don't have a problem eating or drinking anything, but the feeling that my throat is plugged up makes me feel uncomfortable.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.