Ear, Nose & Throat Community
My septum is in pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My septum is in pain

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I have a condition that I'm a bit under about.

For the past 2-3 weeks, I've had a slight to moderate cold and have had to blow my nose and use tissue to take out additional mucus more often than usual. For almost a week, I've noticed a slight scab on both sides of my septum that is thin like dead skin but is quite rough and painful to touch. What can I do to end the irritation and how can I solve the root of the problem? I cannot see my doctor until after Christmas because I cannot miss school, but I don't want like a hole in my nose or anything. Please help~ thank you~!!!
Gently apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) with a Q tip every day so it can heal.  Put it on in a thin layer.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When the crusts are removed do you see a ‘weepy’ surface, then the cause is most probably infection. Practice good ‘nasal hygiene’, i.e avoid using finger tips to remove the crusts, as they harbor infection causing bacteria. The nose ulcers described could also be due to blowing too much or if the air is too dry. Try using an OTC saline spray. Avoid blowing your nose too hard till the sores heal and use a soft Kleenex. If you don’t already have one get a humidifier for your bedroom. Hope these help