Ear, Nose & Throat Community
NUMB THROAT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

NUMB THROAT

YOBO, 23, MALE

i used to have throat infections years ago, about 3-4 times a year.
i used to smoke.
2 weeks ago, i had an allergy so i took an anti-histamine drug, and apparently, it had a not-so nice side effect. i felt i was on high and my throat felt numb. it went away after a few hours.
last week, i suddenly had shortness of breath so i went to the hospital. ihad an ECD amd CHEST XRAY. the doctor told me that my lungs were probably congested with phlegm so she prescribed me a couple of medicines. i forgot the names of the medicines. she told me that they were supposed to clear my lungs. but after i took the medicines for a couple of times, my throat felt numb again, and i always felt my chest was heavy.
i went to a PULMONOLOGIST 3 days ago and he told me my lungs were fine, and i must go to a CARDIOLOGIST and/or an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to check my heart and/or thyroids to know of they were causing my shortness of breath.
i went to a CARDIOLOGIST the other day and told me to have 2D-ECHO,  and other tests regarding my heart, and gave me medicine (BROMAXEPAM) to release tension while waiting for my sched of lab tests. i've been taking the meds for 2 days now, and they seemed ok.
BUT A WHILE AGO, OUT OF NOWHERE, MY THROAT FELT NUMB AGAIN (UNTIL NOW). THE SAME FEELING I HAD WHEN I TOOK THE ANTI-ALLERGY MED 2 WEEKS AGO.
WHAT COULD THIS BE? I'M SO WORRIED BECAUSE I DONT FEEL MY THROAT EVEN IF I JUST SWALLOW MY SALIVA.
QUESTIONS:
1. COULD THIS BE FROM SMOKING BEFORE?
2. SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE HEART?
3. GOITER?
4. BECAUSE OF THE FREQUENT SORE THROATS BEFORE?
Changed sensations inside the throat can be from post nasal drip or acid reflux (GERD) rather than from heart conditions (ruled out by cardiologists) and thyroid problems (on the outside bottom of your throat).  It's reasonable to be evaluated for these, but unlikely to be the reason for inner throat discomfort.

Consider a second opinion from a ENT or talk to your regular physician about GERD.

Enoch Choi, MD
how about my shortness of breath? does it have something to do with the sudden numbness of my throat every now and then?
oh, and are you korean?
Chinese, actually.

GERD doesn't typically cause shortness of breath.  If it persists, it's worth getting checked out.

Enoch Choi, MD
I was recently in a fight and received a black eye. The injury happened on the right side so that whole side is numb,can't feel a thing and my upper teeth on that side is numb too like some kinda nerve damage.Any suggestions on what i am to do???
See your doctor, an impact of that severity could have resulted in a fracture and nerve damage.
Occasionally I get a "numb" sensation on the right side of the back of my throat.  No pain anywhere, but it feels funny and last a few minutes and then goes away, but may appear again or it may not surface again for a few weeks.  Any idea what this strange sensation is?
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TOO WHAT IS IT?
i have a lump on the back of my neck and have had numbness at the back of my throat.sometimes when i bend over i have a stuffed feeling in my head. i also feel faint alot and tired all the time.i had a baby 9 months ago and had bad blood presure starting around 5 months into the pregnancy.i have had a pain in the back of my left knee since i was eight months pregnant. are all these symptoms of something bad or should i not worry.oh yeah i have trouble swallowing sometimes ugh im falling apart and scared plz let me know your thoughts im uninsured so going to see a doctor is not in the budget so i have to know if these things merit a visit or not. thank you
I am experiencing this right now for possibly the first time. I was just sitting here and the back of my throat on the right side and tongue feels numb / tingly... also I am noticing something like pressure / numbness in my right eardrum... just noticed it maybe 10 mins ago and wondering if i should be concerned about this...