Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nasal Fungus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Nasal Fungus?

Just this fall I noticed that small, semi-hard globs come from the back of my throat, near the top of my mouth, and they smell terrible.  Could this be a possible side-effect of Anthrax vaccination?  Probably not, although I haven't had this before, and the vaccines are my only notable change, other than moving to Northern California.  It makes my breath stink a bit, and other than being gross doesn't seem to cause any other problem.  They are yellow-green, about the size of the "D" of the "delete" button on a standard keyboard, with the consistency of a chocolate chip.  Did I mention that this smells horrid?  My friend also noticed the same symptoms about six months ago, he is also Active Military, and lives in California.  Any Advice?  
-3 Comments Post a Comment
They're tonsilloliths or tonsil stones. It's just debris that collects in tonsil crypts - crevices. Google it and you will find lots of information. I suffered with them as a child but now my tonsils have shriveled up to practically nothing from recurring bouts of tonsillitis, so now I don't get them anymore. One of my sons now gets these tonsil stones. They're nothing serious. :)
they arent; serious, but usually are sympsoms of inefcted tonsils. Sounds like they need to go. And yes, they are nasty bits because theya re filled with bacteria.
I do not believe they have anything to do with tonsils. I was born without tonsils and I have been getting the "fungus chunks" as I call them for about 10 years now. I was in the military for years also. I don't know if there's a connection, but there could be. Yours is the first description that sounds EXACTLY like what I have suffered from. Mine get worse if I ingest sweets in any form. Not only the bad breath and taste, but it causes alot of histemic reaction in the form of increased mucous and coughing. When I am able to cough them up, my symptoms subside. I believe they are a symptom of a fungal infection but so far cannot find a doctor who is willing to look into it.
I got rid of my nasal fungus by spraying colloidal silver up my nose. The fungus grows in the nasal passages and slides down your throat in globules and hard lumps. My problem stated in military service too!
I have the same thing - the smelly yellowish-white lumps pop out of my tonsils. I once got it checked by a doctor -but one I really didn't trust, so I'm considering getting a second opinion, and he cultured one of the lumps and concluded it was fungal -gave me the name but I can't remember now, and said it was just extremely smelly and disgusting but totally harmless.

They may well be totally harmless, but my girlfriend is noticing the smell and wants me to get rid of them. I've found mouthwash with some drops of tea-tree oil is quite effective before, but it only stops them growing for a few weeks or months and they always come back.

Mine also respond to eating sugar, but more to stress -when I'm least stressed I get a tiny tonsillolith about every couple of months, but when I'm very stressed sometimes several big chunks at a time every week or so -sometimes up to about 5mm diameter, and they're incredibly intensely stinky! The most concentrated source of putrid fetid smell I've ever encountered!