Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nasal Problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Nasal Problem

I am 50 years old. In the past 5 years or so, I have slowly developed a restricted nasal problem to the point in which both sides of the inner nose become completely blocked and cannot breathe through my nose at all; in or out. Currently, the only remedy that will help is Vicks Sinex 12 hour fine mist. I need to break away from using this medication as it has its bad side effects such as excessive mucous, nose bleeds, and loss of some smell.            
     I am looking forward to a permanent solution such as surgery or maybe even having stints placed as a permanent fix. Please help.  
You should get an evaluation by a physician to better assess the area of obstruction as well as to review the contributing factors involved.  I agree that you should not rely on Vicks to be able to breath freely.  In some cases, relying on certain medications can make symptoms worse in the long run.
In my opinion, the doctor provided a reasonable answer to your question. I would think there are many different problems that can cause a nasal blockage, and the only way to determine what the issue is would be a evaluation in person.