Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nasal feeling while singing, drastically hindering my singing voice.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

So ever since this summer, my singing voice has drastically been reduced from its former range and tone.  I can't hit the same notes, my voice distorts when trying to hit certain notes that I used to be able to, and I don't have as desirable tone that  I used to have.  When I sing now, my nose feels congested, like nasal singing, affecting my voice.  I'd love to hear any proposed explanations for this phenomenon and also, more importantly, any possible solutions.  I suspect that it has something to do with allergies, but note that I've had this "condition" since June, really weird.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Based on what you are describing, you might have inflammation of your superior laryngeal nerve which is the nerve that controls the muscle around your larynx (voice box) that controls pitch. An upper respiratory tract infection (cold) can cause the inflammation. You might need oral steroids or nerve medications like Lyrica to quiet down the inflammation.  It can take up to 3 months for the inflammation to subside, but sometimes the problem is permanent. The best way for evaluation is to see a speech pathologist who specializes in voice and who can perform a videostroboscopy which is a special camera to look at the movement of the vocal cords. The speech pathologist can recommend vocal strengthening exercises and works with an ENT who can prescribe the medication.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Interesting, I'll let my PA (specializes in ear, nose, and throat who I've been seeing for a long time now, trying to get rid of a "hypersensitive gag reflex and lump in the throat feelings") know this, I really appreciate your response, thank you!
Update.
Ok so I got a CT scan done and the otorhinolaryngologist head doctor found a very big cyst in one of my sinus cavities, and commented on my deviated septum and how it is very crooked (genetic) also the cartilage is structurally messed up and both nostrils have a lot of blockage...my nose basically ***** at doing its job.  They're going to have surgery to fix it so that I can breathe properly through my nose.  He said that he believes it's related to my gagging problems too since mouths are for eating and talking and I breathe way too much from my mouth because my breathing from the nose is so poor.  I am very interested and think this will actually solve most of my problems!The only bad thing is because of insurance and the surgeons involved and the need to take off school/work after the surgery I will have to wait 'til at least spring break and maybe even summer to get it unfortunately (I've gone through this hell, I can keep pushing through) I will keep you posted, God bless!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The deviated nasal septum could be causing the nasal blockage and changes in the voice quality. Also, the cyst in the sinus could be due to sinusitis, this can cause a nasal congestion and consequent changes in voice quality. So, as you wait for the surgical correction of the deviated septum, get treated for the sinusitis. If it is a chronic sinus infection, 4-6 weeks of antibiotics are pretty standard in addition to nasal steroid sprays, oral steroids, and salt water irrigations of the sinuses. If this fails to solve the problem, sinus surgery is usually recommended. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
You're right on it.  We tried the multiple antibiotics and corticosteroids and nasal sprays and other things but nothing worked at all. It stinks, but I can wait.  I have my appointment to get the go ahead from the doctors on March 8th, and will likely end up having the surgery in the summer.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Good Luck with your surgery.