Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Neck and throat problems; what should I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Last week at school I leaned back in my chair while yawning and stretching and felt something in my neck move up towards my jaw and get caught. For the next ten or so minutes, swallowing, talking and anything really was extremely painful. After ten minutes, everything seemed to pop back into place. This happened right next to my throat on the left side where my pulse is. I did some research and discovered that some people had dealt with the same problem. It was the hyoid bone getting caught. Ever since the day it happened, I have felt like there's a pill stuck in my throat and some strain on the muscles in that area. I also had clicking of the jaw which has since decreased since the incident. The lump in the throat symptom didn't appear until a day or so after the problem. I visited a chiropractor yesterday and he said that I was probably suffering from a neck sprain in which the bone did indeed go out of place. He did some adjustments on my neck, back and jaw since I also suffer from TMJ. I was just wondering if you could shine some light on this problem. I have had 4 or 5 type episodes -- all lasting under 20 minutes -- with the hyoid bone, so I was just curious what the heck is going on? My chiropractor seemed stumped and I don't blame him. The feeling of a pill or lump stuck in my throat hasn't disappeared, but seems to be better in the morning. Any light that you could shed on this would greatly decrease my overall anxiety of the situation. Thanks!

Marc