Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Neck swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Neck swelling

Hi, about 8 weeks ago I had a blocked left ear with it being sore on the inner channel and the hole being smaller, im not sure if this was due to me trying to clear it or not.however this lasted for about 1 week with swelling under the ear which also went a few days after the ear was unblocked. it also felt swollen when i tried to eat as if it was inflamed  

10 days ago I got swelling under the left ear which runs along the jaw line and at the beginning it also felt like the area next to my ear at the top of my cheek was  inflamed which has now gone down but the gland which runs down my jaw line is still inflated, although I cant feel any physical lump its feels more an inflamation (inflammation).

Today is the best day so far and I woke up this morning it felt like it had gone but as the day goes on I become more aware it is still there, I stated to take iburofen today as well which might help.

This ear over many years tends to block from time to time and normally happens when I put my head under water or high altitude situations.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be enlarged lymph node/nodes. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. The swelling and pain could also be due to mastoiditis, which is infection of the bone behind the ear. This happens when there is a middle ear infection, which spreads to involve the mastoid bone. But as your symptoms are resolving, you could wait and watch. However, if you develop fever, increase in the size of the swelling or pain; please consult your primary care physician. In the meantime you can continue OTC ibuprofen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.